Friday, August 17, 2007

I ran 5K!!

Woo hoo! I did it :) And only about a month into this running kick I've been on... so exciting.

I've actually done it twice this week - Wednesday and today (Friday) and I plan on going out gain on Sunday to do another!

*Wednesday's run/a funny treadmill story :)
So on Wednesday I went to the gym just planning to do my usual 30-minute run that I've been doing the last week or so. I had planned in my head to do a 3-minute warm-up walk then stop the treadmill and re-set it before starting running so I would jog the entire 30 minutes. Well, I got to 12 minutes and was originally going to slow down a bit then. I was feeling good so I pushed it to 15. So, did 15 minutes at 5.5 mph. Slowed down to 4.5 mph and jogged at that speed for a minute then pushed it back up to 5.5mph. I got to about 28 minutes or so and decided, wow, I only need another half-mile and I'll have done a 5K! So, I just kept going! At about the 30 minute mark I'd done 2.8 miles - reached down to grab my towel so I could wipe sweat out of my eyes and accidentally pulled the stupid emergency stop thing! Of course, the treadmill stops cold! Great.... had to stop it and re-set. Thank goodness I'd paid attention to how far I'd gone just before pulling the cord! I set it back at 5.5 mph and ran the final 0.3 miles that I needed to get to 3.1 miles (which is what I've convinced myself a 5K is!)
Went well except for the whole emergency stop disaster! Good thing I had my iPod so I knew about how long it took me! I estimated it was about 34 minutes to do the whole thing. Not bad... I'll work on getting my speed up once I've finished tackling the stamina portion!

*Friday
Managed to complete 3.1 miles without pulling the emergency stop this time so this entry will be short ;) I was able to time myself correctly and did the 3.1 in 34 minutes. I actually kept jogging through the first part of the cool down thing and made it to 3.25 miles before it got too slow. Same "schedule" as Wednesday - 15 minutes then slowed down for about a minute. I'm averaging about an 11-minute mile which I think is pretty good for having just started! Also pretty good for being able to maintain it during the whole 3 miles (esp. for me...!)

No comments: